Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chicano Park San Diego - Oct. 13




Today I attended a very unique presentation about Chicano Park.

This event took place at the Clarke Tuesday evening. It was a small crowd but very interesting subject matter. I learned about the process and the struggle that Chicanos went through to not only create a beautiful park full of interesting murals but I also learned about the struggle they endured to own it. The park is full of wall murals about their struggle and about their culture and beliefs. The panel consisted of several chair members of the board for the Chicano Park and all of them were either artists or activists who have been participating in the project since it began in the 1970’s. The project reminded me very much of the artist Professor Avalos recommended me to research, Diego Garcia. Both his work and the work in the Chicano Park are very politically charged. My next goal is to visit the park.


I have often admired the art of the Chicano culture because of the rich colors and symbolism but as I research further about murals and Chicano/a artists, I am learning to embrace the art and culture even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment