Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hearts of Stone

Holy Cow! I attended an artist talk this evening through the Arts & Lectures Series and I was so impressed with the artist's work as well as her talk that I had to go to her website and learn more. The artist, d.goth, paints beautiful pieces of work by painting on broken stones. She either finds naturally broken stones or she breaks them herself but then looks at them to see what she can see within the breaks. They are somewhat of a fresco type painting but are so incredibly beautiful. She has inspired me to try this medium but I was also able to really relate to her artist experience in that she uses art as a therapy and she shares that the art comes out of her. The style also reminded me of the grunge style that I am applying to to the website I am designing for this class. The style is not a clean, "corporate" style but it has a sense of "grunge" appeal. The unplanned and unexpected is what makes the art so beautiful.

Ms. Goth gave her talk and then had everyone join in and paint indivual pieces of abstract art that she will later construct into one large community heart for the "Race for Life" event. Ms. Goth is a poet as well. I encourage you to check out her work. She is a local artist who also gives workshops.

We also discussed the upcoming Art Walk in Little Italy so I plan to attend that as well.
http://www.artwalkonthebay.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment