Monday, September 28, 2009

Simon Silva- Art as a Means of Inspiring

This evening I attended a wonderful lecture and artist talk given by Simon Silva who is an artist and writer. His talk was so inspiring and his work was riveting. His use of color is what initially drew me but I was also captured by his narrative storytelling and his talk of nurturing ones roots. He spoke of family, morals and childhood. He talked about how the rough times in his life was what built character and made who he is today. He talked about the importance of a multi-culture society we are and how we must embrace it, how we are in reality, related to one another.
Something that struck me in his talk was he listed all the things that art isn't. For example, it isn't a filler class in your schedule, it isn't a hobby, etc. Then he went all to tell what art really is. In my mind I summed it to be "art is my religion."

No comments:

Post a Comment